Your practice at Artspace
Artspace studios are filled through a juried process.
Artspace houses 30 partially subsidized studios appropriate for visual artists. Studios range from 193 to 620 square feet. Studio rent is currently charged at $15 per square foot on an annual basis. Monthly rents range from $250-700 on average.
Artspace studios are ideal for artists who are committed to their practice, to experimentation and innovation in their work, to seeking artistic + professional development, and to being a part of and contributing to a dynamic community of artists and creative thinkers.
- 193 to 620 sq. ft. studios
- 24-hour access to the building
- Wi-Fi access
- Elevator access to the second floor
- Up to 35 Artspace artists working on-site including short-term residency artists
- Participation in monthly First Friday gallery walks
- Most studios are open air. Spraying of toxic or hazardous materials is prohibited. Oil painting is allowed.
- Rent is inclusive of all utilities and includes access to a work sink
- Access to exhibition, teaching, and professional development opportunities, and more
Artspace studios are located on the first and second floors of the building, which are accessible by elevator or stairs. Most studios are open air, and sound and scents may carry. Learn about all accessibility resources available at Artspace here.
If you have an accommodation you would like to request for an upcoming program or exhibition, have a suggestion about our accessibility, or if you have a question about our accessibility, please contact Annah Lee, Creative Director at 919.821.2787 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everyone should have the opportunity to experience the creative process. We do not discriminate on any basis, including race/ethnicity, religion, age, physical ability, sexual orientation, or gender/gender identity. Artspace is committed to increasing accessibility and broadening access to the arts; we believe that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the creative process. Everyone is welcome at Artspace.
l-r: Bongsang Cho working in Artspace studio; detail of drawings in Oami Powers’ studio
- Professional, dedicated, working artists with a deep commitment to their practice.
- Artists must be over 18 years of age.
- Artspace strives to host artists working in a wide array of media.
- Previous studio artists are eligible to apply, however, priority will be given to qualifying artists who have never had a studio at Artspace.
- Artists must be ready to work in an open studio setting with public hours.
- Demonstrated commitment to a professional artistic practice.
- Readiness to engage with and benefit from the Artspace Studio Program.
- Potential to further develop an innovative creative practice and/or impact the community.
- Please review all of our Studio Artist Community Guidelines here.
- 5 digital images of works completed within the past two years. Images must be in JPEG format.
- Image list. File names should be matched to an image list. For each image, please list: title, media, dimensions (h x w) and date completed.
- Resume or CV.
- Artist statement. No more than 150 words.
- Studio Use Statement. A description of how you intend to use the studio space and how the opportunity will impact your career. No more than 150 words.
Clockwise from top left: paintings in Allison Coleman’s studio, Kathy King creating jewelry in her Artspace studio, Melinda Fine’s Artspace studio. Header: Kenia Brea working at Artspace.