Artspace Studio Opportunity
DEADLINE TO APPLY: March 31, 2017
Artspace’s studio opportunity is ideal for artists who are committed to their practice, to experimentation and innovation in their work, to seeking artistic & professional development, and to being a part of and contributing to a dynamic community of artists and creative thinkers. Located in the historic City Market in the heart of downtown Raleigh, Artspace offers the unique opportunity for the community to interact with working artists. Artspace invites the public to engage in conversations with our artists, discuss the creative process, learn about new techniques and tips, and purchase works of art directly from artists.
Artspace houses 30 partially subsidized studios appropriate for visual artists. Studios range from 193 to 620 square feet. Studio rent is currently charged at $13.25 per square foot on an annual basis. Monthly rents range from $213-685 on average.
Applications for studio space are accepted annually in March and are open to artist members and non-members. Non-members are required to become an Artspace artist member before they move into the building. To learn more about the benefits of an artist membership and to join, please visit Artist Membership.
STUDIO OPPORTUNITY DETAILS
- 193 to 620 sq. ft. studios.
- 24-hour access to the building.
- Wi-Fi access.
- Up to 35 Artspace artists working on-site including short-term residency artists.
- Participation in First Friday Gallery walks attracting 2,000-2,500 people monthly.
- 3-year lease with the possibility of 2 renewable terms for a maximum of 9 years.
- Access to exhibition, teaching, and professional development opportunities, and more.
- Artspace strives to be fully accessible to artists with disabilities. Artpsace’s facilities are fully accessible and we encourage all artists to consider submitting for these opportunities. If you have any questions about studio accessibility please contact Annah Lee at 919.821.2787 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professional, dedicated, working artists with a deep commitment to their practice and to advancing the mission of Artspace.
- Artists must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents over 18 years of age.
- Artists working in most mediums will be considered. Artists working with toxic materials, hazardous machinery, etc. will not be considered due to limitations within the building.
- Previous studio artists are eligible to apply, however, priority will be given to qualifying artists who have never had a studio previously at Artspace.
- Artists must be ready to enjoy working in an open studio setting where the public is able to interact with the artist during public hours. Artists must work in the studio a minimum of 25 hours per week during public hours, Tuesday 10am – 7pm, Wednesday – Saturday 10am – 6pm, and First Fridays 10am – 10pm.
- Artistic merit of past and current work.
- Readiness to engage with and benefit from the Artspace Studio Program.
- Potential to further develop an innovative creative practice and impact the community.
- Artspace staff reviews applications to ensure completion and eligibility.
- Submissions are reviewed by a committee of arts professionals in the community. The review committee changes yearly.
- The committee evaluates each artist’s materials and selects finalists.
- Finalists are invited for an in-person or phone interview to determine final selections.
Please submit the following:
- 10 digital photos of works completed within the past two years. (3D artists may submit up to 20 digital photos, documenting 10 works in all.) Digital images of artworks must be at least 96DPI and be in JPEG or TIFF formats. RAW and other formats will not be accepted. If submitting via CD, all entries must fit on one CD. Original digital artworks have no resolution/pixel requirements. The CD should be labeled with the artist’s name. See below for online submission instructions.
- Image file names should be matched to a hard copy list of the submitted images. Please list images, titles, media, physical sizes, and date completed.
(film, video, performance, or conceptual art)
Please submit the following:
- One CD or DVD with a maximum total playing time of 10 minutes. CD/DVD must contain a minimum of three segments completed within the last two years. Label the CD/DVD and case with artist name, title of work(s), date completed, medium, and full playing time.
Please submit the following via Dropbox.com or CD/DVD:
- A typed resume or CV, including your complete contact information (name, mailing address, phone, email, and artistic discipline).
- An artist statement or narrative about your work.
- A biography.
- A description of how you intend to use the studio space and how the opportunity will impact your career.
- Non-refundable fee of $25 (payable by either check, money order, or credit card). Current Artspace artist members application fee is waived. Make check or money order payable to Artspace. DO NOT SEND CASH. If paying with credit card, call Artspace at 919.821.2787 (Visa, MasterCard, Discover accepted).
Attn: Annah Lee, Director of Artistic Programs
Studio Space Opportunity
201 E. Davie Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
For digital submissions using Dropbox.com please:
– Create a Dropbox account using Dropbox.com please
– Include inside the above listed materials
– Share the folder with Annah Lee, Artspace Director of Artistic Programs: email@example.com
March 31, 2017
Annah Lee, Director of Artistic Programs, 919.821.2787 or firstname.lastname@example.org